Accompanist – Job Description
Provide piano accompanist support to the Choir and its Musical Director (MD) during weekly rehearsals, in preparation for a minimum of three performances each year, and to perform in these concerts as required
- Prior to each rehearsal, to prepare the works to be covered.
- During rehearsals:
- Be prepared to harmonise (by ear) vocal warm-ups as necessary.
- Be prepared to play any combination of parts to support the choir’s learning of the repertoire.
- Keep a note of instructions and annotations from the MD in the scores, and assist in identifying and managing any discrepancies between editions as required.
- Lead and accompany occasional section rehearsals as required.
- Serve as the Choir’s Assistant MD, responsible for leading rehearsals in the absence of the MD.
- On performance days:
- Accompany dress rehearsals for concerts as required.
- Accompany the Choir during smaller scale concert performances on piano (or organ, if the accompanist is also an organist).
- Play orchestral piano, continuo, or organ parts (as appropriate to the skills of the accompanist) as required.
- Join the choir as an additional singer, where keyboard-playing is not needed for a particular work.
- Accompany and assist with the delivery of the annual Music Workshop held by the Choir.
- Accompany any occasional community performances by the Choir.
- Accompany Choir auditions as required. If requested, contribute to evaluating members during re-auditions or assessing prospective members, as part of the audition committee.
- If requested, record piano rehearsal aids by voice part for new works or other music for which no rehearsal aids are available commercially.